An organised lashing strap storage will prolong the life of your straps, minimise storage space and save you time during use.
The material degrade
Degradation of the polyester can happen in many ways usually exposure to excessive sun (UV rays) and heat, wear and tear from sharp edges or storage in moist and wet boxes.
It is usually easy to see when your ratchet strap is out of date (tears in strap) and a good rule of thumb is to check your ratchet straps whenever you use them and/or roll-up them up for storage.
A strap that is not stored properly and taken care of will degrade in the polyester.
A degradation of the material will eventually lead to lower break strength of the lashing strap and in worst case cause accidents, when it should prevent accidents.
Make your straps ready to use
Another thing about storage is that your ratchet straps will always be ready to use. This will save you enormously amounts of time!
Nobody wants to start their load-securing by untangling the straps, especially if its raining or storming.
Many solutions exist
There exists many ways to store your ratchet straps or to be more specific, ways to avoid the strap unwinding. Among other solutions are;
- velcro bands,
- rubber bands,
- old socks,
- winding excess strap around ratchet,
- a special made box and so on.
What is common about these ideas is that they are meant for small ratchet straps and not 5-ton ratchet straps. A good solution should be simple, quick to do and sustainable. Old socks and rubber won’t last forever.
How to store your ratchet straps guide
Optimum ratchet strap storage can be done in a few simple steps:
A sustainable, quick and easy solution to ratchet strap storage
- Easy to apply. Keep your workgloves on. Put the strap clamp on your wet, oil-greased and dirty lashing straps.
- Sustainable. Lasts longer than cable ties, velcro, rubber bands and so forth.
- Demands minimum space. The strap clamp takes up very little space unlike a custom-made storage boxes, which only fits max. 6 ratchet straps anyway.
- Low cost. The cost of the strap clamp is none to less compared to many other one-time-use solutions and custom-made storage boxes.